Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Prufrock's Wargaming Blog

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Agreeable Clutter and Opportunistic Purchasing

The hobby table is still getting a bit of use and progress on the Caesarian & Pompeian hordes is being made. Nothing quite like painting clutter and the smell of thinner...



In other news, while picking up a pair of gifts for my brother and sister through The Book Depository I came across a couple of sets of rules, One Hour Wargames by Neil Thomas and Dux Bellorum by Dan Mersey. Not quite sure what happened, but they seemed to find their way into the shopping cart as well.


Is this a prufrock thing or a wargamer thing? Do others go to buy a gift for someone else and end up with several purchases for yourselves as well? That sense that this is probably your only chance to get X, so get it now leads to, in myself at least, a certain opportunistic selfishness that I find almost impossible to resist.

16 comments:

  1. You are not alone, Prufrock. I recently placed an Amazon order for Lion Rampant and wanted the free shipping but couldn't find anything else I wanted to up the minimum order. My wife came to the "rescue" and ordered a $50 cellphone case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What hurdles we cross to get free shipping!

      Delete
    2. Book Depository shipping is free anyway, so I don't even have that excuse!

      Delete
  2. It takes someone with either great restraint or little money to not add on when opportunity knocks. Like Dean, I often add a book to an Amazon.com order simply to reach the free shipping threshold.

    Even when I order Christmas gifts for wargaming friends that include figures, I often throw in a few for myself too. If shipping is a fixed cost, as is the case for many U.S.A vendors, why not throw in a little extra (for yourself) to bring the average unit cost down a bit? Why not, indeed!

    You are not alone, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make it sound like a moral duty Jonathan! I like the cut of your jib, sir ;)

      Delete
  3. When the opportunity arises grasp it with both hands, that's what I say!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll print that out and use it as a motivational poster, Ray!

      Delete
  4. I would say those who don't indulge in this sort of behaviour would be in the minority. A section of the community of which I am most definitely not a member!

    ReplyDelete

  5. Don't know about peaches, but folks I know who've tried Dux B. seem to like it ;)

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only do it when the shipping is painful. Since I'm already paying it I might as well add a couple of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I use that logic too. Orders to GMT Games always seem to grow from one to three items pretty quickly!

      Delete
  7. Dudes we all have OCD when it comes to this hobby, it's the natural state of order then to get it now because it might go out of print tomorrow, or they will stop making it. At least that is what I tell myself when my cart gets a few things added to it.

    Purchase on my fellow addicts!!!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if we can admit it it's not really a problem? ;)

      Delete
    2. And if we ALL do it, it must be a societal norm and not an abnormality!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...